Sunday, May 4, 2008

First Daughter: White House Rules


First Daughter: White House Rules, by Mitali Perkins

That's right - two months after stopping by the launch party for this book, I finally read it. Worth the wait? Yes.

Meet the author: Hang out with Mitali on the Fire Escape!

Bonus: Sparrowblog

Elsewhere: Bildungsroman

What stuck with me
: Okay, I have to admit this is pretty bad, coming from someone who treats boiling up some pasta as a major event. But I loved the image of Sparrow and Miranda getting to have free run of the White House kitchens. (This, by the way, is why the Williams-Sonoma catalog is a dangerous thing to have lying around.)

Makes me want to read: For a much darker take on first daughterhood, Ellen Emerson White's Long May She Reign. Also First Daughter: Extreme American Makeover for all the backstory.

Makes me want to reread: Well, I can't think of any books that I'm inspired to go back to, but it did put me in the mood to curl up with my West Wing DVDs.

3 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

I can't believe we were at the same launch party! Mitali is awesome and her books are worth reading. Glad you liked her book.

Sarah Rettger said...

Next time, HWM - I'm always looking for an excuse to go back to Massachusetts!

Christina said...

Oh, this sounds fun - another book to add to the enormous list of Things I Want to Read.

And revisit the West Wing - Ben and I just finished rewatching the series, and it's *bizarre* how closely the fictional election (Santos/the other dude) has paralleled this one so far.

(P.S. My word verification string today is LMPSGA - which I immediately read as "last menstrual period, small (for) gestational age." The medicine, it gets into everything.)